Friday, February 3, 2012

Pinterest Craze Pumpkin and Cream Oat Muffins!


So if you've joined the latest Pinterest craze (which I must admit I am officially hooked) then you MUST have seen the recipe for the Pumpkin Cream Cheese bread going around that claims to be 500 calories per loaf.  Well I don't know if I really believe that, but I just HAD to check it out.  Clearly someone doesn't know how to add because under the serving size it says 14 slices per loaf with about 46 calories per slice. Well the loaves turned out to be SUPER SMALL.  So yeah, maybe I do believe, but come on 46 X 14 = 644.  NOT 500.  But so anyway, I love pumpkin. Love doesn't begin to describe my feeling for the over grown squash.  In October when the organic cans were on sale for 2 for $3, I bought about 10 cans.  October is my favorite food month I think just because people start putting pumpkin in EVERYTHING.  

Well so anyway I was examining the recipe more and more and decided to play around with it.  So play around I did.  I made 6 muffins and 1 small loaf.  Moderation is key with anything sweet, so the muffins really help me portion control, but you can use a loaf pan if you want.

You can find the original recipe here.  By all means use that recipe if you want, but here is my variation!  

Yields about 10 medium size muffins (that's a guestimate btw, like I said I made 6 muffins and 1 small loaf).    

Batter:

1 15 oz can pureed pumpkin.
3/4 c. unsweetened cinnamon applecause
1 whole egg
1/2 c. egg whites
1 c. oat flour (just take 1 cup rolled oats and throw them in the blender to create the flour)
2/3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
8 packets stevia in the raw
1/2 c. cane sugar (I went for the lower end of 1/2 c.)
1 t. baking soda
1 tbs. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla extract

Cream filling:
4 oz light cream cheese (I had neufchâtel cheese in my fridge which is basically a very light cream cheese)
1 tbs. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. egg white
1 t. vanilla extract
2 tbs. cane sugar

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

1. Mix the batter:  Use an electric mixer if you want, but I just threw everything into my blender after making the oat flour.  Make sure everything mixes evenly.  A food processor would work better then a blender. I really need to get one of those!

2. For the filling mixture, let the cream cheese get soft then in a mixing bowl, use your electric mixer to beat everything together.

3.  Be sure to grease whatever kind of pan you use!  Pour half of the batter into your pans and then pour the cream cheese mixture over each muffin or loaf.  Lastly cover the cream cheese mixture with the rest of the batter. It's okay if you still see white after covering it with the rest of the batter!

Pop in the over and bake for about 30-40 minutes.  Keep an eye on them because cooking time will vary with whatever size pan you use.

My advice: Make sure you stick to your guns with portion control!  Even too much of a good thing is bad.  I ate the first muffin and wanted to go back for more, but I didn't!  I'm saving them for the next few days!   Gonna share these yummy treats with some friends too.

That's all for now!   ENJOY!  Later I'll post my version of baked oatmeal that I got from Pinterest as well.

Love.

1 comment:

  1. Pinterest is seriously the best thing ever. I think I've bookmarked at least a 100 episodes as a result of it.

    I'm glad you're still doing pumpkin recipes even though the holidays are over. Pumpkin shouldn't be restricted to Thanksgiving and Christmas. They're too good!

    ReplyDelete